Looking for an efficient workout to burn calories, speed up metabolism and increase muscle mass? The answer is simple: leg exercises for hypertrophy. This is a muscle group often neglected (mainly by men), and which has a fundamental importance in daily activities, they are responsible for locomotion and are tending to fall asleep these days, due to the fact that we have more and more jobs and sedentary lifestyles.
By effectively choosing hypertrophy leg exercises, you will give your body a big boost in metabolism, ensuring you burn more calories both during training and after, as well as leading to increased muscle mass.
One of the reasons this calorie burn is enhanced with leg hypertrophy exercises is that when you do them, you are working half your body and large muscle groups. This is one of the reasons that most people think it’s a demanding workout where sweating is okay.
In addition to the facts mentioned, according to several studies, strength training (with special emphasis on leg training) leads to an increase in lean mass, bone density and prevents osteopenia (loss of muscle mass associated with age, which leads to an increased risk of injury).
Leg Exercises for Bigger Legs and Hypertrophy
1. Deadlift Exercise
This movement represents one of the main leg exercises for hypertrophy, with special emphasis on the posterior chain and postural muscles. Well done, it will strengthen your back, glutes and hamstrings.
- Start by placing your feet under the bar, with your shins as close to the bar as possible, and with the width equal to your waist.
- Then lower your waist and bend your knees until you can grip the bar. Hands should be shoulder-width apart and arms fully extended.
- Keeping your back straight, raise the bar until you are standing. The correct execution of this exercise requires that the lift be done straight up, and whenever possible with the bar in contact with the body until it is fully raised. This will reduce the stress on the back, preventing injuries to the lumbar spine.
- After lifting the bar, lower it again to the starting position, always with the weight in a straight line with the floor, but taking care to lower it in a controlled manner.
2. Squats Exercise
This is one of the main movements you have to master and is a must when it comes to exercises for leg hypertrophy. It has several aspects of squats, and we’ll cover the classic version of bodyweight here.
- Standing, spread your legs apart until your feet are shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees until they are bent, having the thigh parallel to the floor as a reference, and trying to keep your knees from going beyond the line of your feet. Push your buttocks back, imagining that you have a chair and that you are going to sit down, always keeping your back straight.
- Return to the starting position, extending your legs and contracting your glutes at the end of the movement.
During the exercise, you should always look straight ahead and keep your arms extended in front of your body, swinging them to the rhythm of the squat to maintain balance.
3. Step Up Leg Exercise
- Hold a dumbbell on either side of your body and place a foot on a bench or box, with your knee bent 90 degrees. Keep the other leg straight and firm on the floor and your back straight. For a more basic aspect and even mastering the technique, you can only do it with your body weight.
- Raise the platform, keeping your back leg suspended in the air. Contract your glutes at the end of the movement and descend in a controlled manner.
4. Lunges Leg Exercise
The lunges represent one of the most demanding leg exercises for hypertrophy there is. There are several variations: static, dynamic, in motion, among others. We will discuss the static version here.
- Bring one leg forward, bending the knee until the thigh of the forward leg is parallel to the floor. The front foot should be flat on the floor and the back foot should keep the heel up, not touching the floor.
- Lower the pelvis, slowly descending until the front knee forms at 90° angle and the rear leg knee almost touches the floor.
- Go up and return to starting position, repeating 12 to 15 times each leg.
During the exercise, you can place your hands on your hips or pick up dumbbells.
Here you have 4 leg exercises for hypertrophy, which are efficient to burn calories and give your metabolism a boost, ensuring that the limbs responsible for locomotion are worked and strong. In addition to giving you an elegant silhouette and protecting your spine and knees from an injury, it will give you the perfect stimulus to increase muscle mass.