Deadlift exercise is one of the exercises that makes you tired both mentally and physically. For this reason, it is very difficult to choose and apply. But besides all other exercises, it activates more muscles in our body. This keeps your muscle development higher throughout the exercise. Deadlift is an exercise that forms the basis of BUILD strength training along with bench press and squat exercises. Thus, this exercise is one of the important exercises that you can choose for body development. Yes, it is one of the exercises that should be done, but in addition to all these benefits, it is a difficult exercise to implement and requires attention.
The deadlift exercise significantly affects the back of your body, which you can use in your strength training. For this, you must do the exercise in the most correct form. Although everyone can practice the deadlift exercise in general, it is really difficult to get the right form. Because it is a complex exercise, your focus should be on muscles that are constantly active. If you focus and get the right form, it will prevent the diseases that will arise by strengthening the tendon and spine health, as well as the muscle development of your body. For this, let’s take a closer look at the deadlift exercise.
Since the deadlift exercise is a functional exercise, it works many muscle groups in your body. It can protect not only your muscles but also your joint and bone health. Because it seems like a difficult exercise, everyone generally hesitates to add it to their training program. But it is not an exercise that should be avoided.
As you can see in powerlifting competitions, although the difficulty level of two people who lift 80 kilograms and 300 kilograms is the same, they can finish the exercise correctly. For this reason, getting injured in the deadlift exercise is directly proportional to how well you know your body and progress by making the right decisions. If you are a beginner to the sport and you have not been able to do this exercise before, you should apply it with an empty bar without any weights. Thus, you can prevent injuries and complete the exercise correctly.
Which Muscles Work
Deadlift exercise activates many muscle groups in your body. These muscle groups are:
- The rhomboid minor is a muscle between the upper spine and the scapula.
- Trapezius: It is a muscle that starts between the middle spine and the nape of the neck and connects to the scapula and collarbone.
- Splenius Capitis: It is the muscle that connects to the lower part of the skull, starting from the upper intervertebral spine.
- Spinalis Thoracis: The longitudinal muscles on the spine.
- Iliocostalis: The muscle in the spine that extends to the upper part of the posterior ribs.
- Serratus posterior inferior: Extends from the spine to the lower part of the posterior ribs.
- Quadratus Lumborum: originates in the pelvis, extends to the lower spine and posterior lowest rib
- Serratus posterior superior: Starting from the bottom of the neck, the rib is attached to the upper back.
- Latissimus dorsi: It is the entire muscle that we call the wing region.
- Teres major: The muscle that attaches the scapula to the upper arm.
- Rhomboid major: Extends from the spine to the scapula.
- Levator scapulae: A muscle that attaches from the inside of the scapula to the top of the spine.
Hip and Calf Muscles
- Gastrocnemiustriceps soiree: Calf muscles in the lower leg.
- Gluteus maximus – Gluteus medius – Gluteus minimus: Hip muscles
- Priformis – Superior gemellus – Obturator internus – Inferior gemellus – Quadratus femoris: Muscles connecting the hip joints to the femur bone.
- Biceps femoris: It is the hind leg muscle. It starts from the hip bone and connects to the upper outer part of the lower leg bone.
- Semitendinosus: It is the hind leg muscle. It starts at the hipbone and attaches to the upper inner part of the lower leg bone.
- Semimembranosus: It is the hind leg muscle. It is located under the biceps femoris and Semitendinosus muscles.
- Vastus Medialis: It starts from the upper inner part of the femur bone, is the muscle that attaches to the upper inner part of the kneecap.
- Vastus Intermedius: It starts from the upper middle part of the femur bone, Patella is attached to the upper inner part of the knee cap.
- Rectus femoris: It starts from the anterior part of the pelvis, connects to the upper middle of the kneecap.
- Vastus Lateralis: Located on the upper outer part of the kneecap, starting from the upper outer part of the upper leg bone.
- As you can see, in the deadlift exercise that you will apply in the right form, it activates many muscles in your body and provides your development. Thus, you will see the effects on your muscle development in a short time. In addition to appealing to so many muscles, how you practice the exercise becomes a more important issue. For this, let’s take a closer look at how the deadlift exercise is applied.
Deadlift Exercise with the Most Accurate Form
Getting the right form for the deadlift exercise is very important for the muscles you can focus on. Your body posture significantly affects your focus and muscle development.
Feet: Before starting the deadlift exercise, you must find the appropriate position for each part of your body. For this, the most important area that touches the ground is your feet. Thus, you keep your balance from the ground and get power. You should position your feet shoulder-width apart, facing forward. The distance between your heels should be in line with your hips.
Hands and Arms: If you work in an Olympic bar, there will be lines on the bar. Thus, approach the bar and bring your feet to the level of the bar. Once in line with the bar, hold the bar a little over the width of your feet, compared to the lines on the bar. Your elbows should be straight and locked. Do not bend your elbows during the exercise.
You can hold your hands in two different positions, up and down. For beginners in this exercise, we recommend keeping it facing you so that you can practice it more comfortably. Grasp the bar about shoulder-width apart. Grasp the bar with your fingers, not the middle of your hand. Because when you grasp it with the middle of your hand, you will feel pain in the palm and you may lose your form during the exercise.
You have adjusted your body position and grasped the bar. Push your hips back to engage your abs and lower your hips by bending your knees while keeping your back straight in a neutral position. With your knees close to the bar, inhale and lift your body up with the bar. As the bar rises, it should continue along with your shinbone. When the bar approaches the full up position, bring your hips forward and squeezing tightly to lock the exercise. In this position, squeezing every part of your body and exhaling, lower the bar without disturbing your form. Proceed with low face until you get the exercise right. Then increase the weight to reach the best form.
Deadlift Exercise Mistakes
One of the biggest mistakes made in the deadlift exercise is to confuse the deadlift with the squat. The squat in the Squat exercise and the squat in the Deadlift exercise are independent and separate from each other. In the deadlift exercise, as in the squat exercise, when you try to sit behind the bar, you will both push the bar forward and prevent the bar from going up correctly. For this reason, when you first start, you should work with the empty bar for a long time to maintain your form. Then you should increase your muscle mass by training with weights.
Another mistake is the bending that occurs in your waist while continuing the bar in the up position, not when you cut the bar off the ground. This twist in your waist is due to weakness in your hip muscles. For this, you should work out exercises to tighten your hip muscles.
One of the last mistakes made is that when locking the deadlift in the up position, you should lock it with your hips, not with your waist. If you push your back forward and lock it, back injuries can occur. For this, you should end the exercise with your hip muscles as much as possible, that is, you should lock them.
Although the deadlift exercise is an exercise that should be considered very important, it also has many benefits for your body. Thus, whether you are new to the sport or have a good background, if you have not started the deadlift exercise, it should be one of the exercises you should try. Try to take your development to the highest levels by following all the details we have told and including it in your training programs. In order to achieve your goals, you should carefully organize your training and nutrition programs. Thus, you will reach your target point in the most accurate way.