The kidneys are one of the most important organs necessary for the healthy functioning of the body. They work to remove uric acid from your body. Known as the purification center of your body, the kidneys help clean and regenerate the blood. The kidneys, which have a very important task for the formation of new red blood cells, are located on both sides of the rib spine. Some people are born with only one kidney, and these people often do not have any health risks.
A deterioration or damage to the structure of the kidneys deeply affects kidney health. If your kidneys are disturbed, you have to shape many details of your life according to this disease. It is important to move and eat without tiring the kidneys in this process. Nutrition in kidney disease is also frequently reminded by experts. Foods that do not harm the kidney structure are listed by the doctor.
Nutrition in kidney disease should be regulated by the list expressed by the Ministry of Health. Nutrition principles in kidney disease are explained to kidney patients by dietitians and experts. It is emphasized that you give importance to your nutrition for a better quality of life and feeling better. A healthy diet can slow the progression of kidney failure.
If you have kidney disease and do not know how to organize your meals, you can now review the list of foods that are prohibited for kidney patients. Those who say what kidney patients should not eat and what is goodwill find the answers they are looking for in these lines!
1) Vitamins & Minerals: Vitamin D Supplementation is Important
- Vitamin and mineral intake should be very controlled in kidney disease.
- Vitamin D intake of people with chronic kidney failure should be supplemented with medications.
- Vitamin drugs that the doctor deems appropriate should be taken as recommended by the doctor and in the dose.
- In order not to experience vitamin and mineral deficiencies, it is necessary not to skip the snacks in the diet list.
2) Fluid Intake: Water and Liquid Foods Should Be Increased
- Fluid intake is an important issue in kidney patients. In order to balance the fluids filtered from the kidneys, water consumption and liquid foods should not be neglected during the day.
- In some people with kidney failure, the amount of water in their body decreases as the disease progresses. This is evident from the urine.
- If there is edema in the body and there is no frequent urination, this will harm the body.
- Shortness of breath, swelling in the hands and feet indicate that you have water retention in your body.
- It is recommended that kidney patients pay attention to their water consumption and go to the sink every time they urinate.
- Drinking water after each urine output will be a healthy step.
3) Potassium: It should be consumed in a controlled manner
- It is recommended that kidney patients be MEASURED when consuming foods containing potassium.
- When you say which foods contain potassium, you should first think of carrots, mushrooms, bananas, nuts, parsley and spinach.
4) Dairy Products Should Be Preferred for Calcium Supplement
- The kidney needs calcium to function.
- Calcium is found in milk and dairy products.
- It is recommended that kidney patients consume dairy products in the diet list in moderation and regularly.
- By drinking milk during the day, adding cheese types to breakfast and adding yogurt to main meals, you will meet your calcium needs.
- Thanks to dairy products containing calcium, you will feel the effects of kidney disease in the least way.
5) Salt Consumption Should Be Limited
- One of the foods that kidney patients should pay attention to is salt.
- Salt is not harmful for every kidney patient. But adjusting the dose is a good step for any patient.
- When there is damage to the kidneys that regulate the sodium level in the blood, it cannot balance the sodium.
- When an excessive amount of salt is taken on sick days, blood pressure problem occurs. Therefore, every kidney patient should be very sensitive about salt.
- If your doctor has stated that you should never consume salt, you can balance the salt by adding spices to your meals.
6) Animal Protein Should Be Moderated and Consumed Less
- Protein is an important mineral for kidney patients; however, consumption of animal protein should be restricted.
- Meat, fish, lentils, bulgur and dairy products should be included in your diet in MEASURED amounts.
7) Quality Vegetable Oils Should Be Used in Moderation
- In order not to tire the kidneys, it is necessary to pay attention to the quality of the oil used in meals.
- Nutritionists recommend vegetable oils such as olive oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil to kidney patients.
- Meals should be prepared with recommended oils to balance the cholesterol level in the blood.
- If the cholesterol level in the blood rises, kidney diseases are triggered and the kidneys begin to be damaged.
8) Processed Foods – Avoid Foods Containing Phosphorus
- Processed foods are foods that are considered harmful to everyone.
- Frozen foods waiting in their packages for a long time are also risky foods for kidney patients.
- It is recommended that kidney patients prefer fresh and low-calorie foods.
- Sausage, sausage, salami, chips, ready-made desserts and beverages are not included in the diet list of kidney patients.
9) Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables Should Be Preferred
- In cases such as kidney failure, the diet list given by the specialist should be followed.
- It is recommended that the food be very fresh and low-fat.
- Seasonal foods should be preferred, as vegetables and fruits consumed in season protect the health of the kidneys.
- Staying away from frozen foods will help kidney patients feel better.
Kidney patients need to spend every meal in a balanced way. With healthy plates and healthy choices, they can protect their kidney function. Therefore, there are some important points we would like to remind:
- Those struggling with kidney disease should pay attention to their drinking water. You should avoid consuming chalky water from the tap.
- You should not consume too many acidic drinks. As much as possible, you should prefer naturally prepared fruit juice.
- Meat consumption is very important for you, but you should get the best protein you will get. For this, frying meat is not a good choice. You can cook meat well in the oven, by boiling and grilling.
- The quality of the oil added to the meals is also a very important point for you. If possible, low-calorie olive oil or hazelnut oil that does not tire the kidneys should be preferred.
- Calcium-rich foods should also be included in the meals of kidney patients. Milk and dairy products should be taken in moderation, from low-fat ones.
- Vegetables and fruits should be consumed after washing them very well. In particular, it is recommended to wash the greens after cleaning with vinegar water. Because greens grow very close to the ground. Consuming after cleaning dust and soil residues is a good step for your kidney health.