We always think that gaining weight is easier than losing weight. In fact, weight gain k individuals who want to work can be a little more difficult compared with those who want to lose weight Contrary to what we thought. Those who want to gain weight need to provide an energy intake above their daily calorie needs, and at this point, it is very important for people to be patient and determined.
What to Do to Gain Weight?
As dietitians, we expect our clients who apply to us while dieting to lose or gain weight, to be open to changing their habits. Because weight change can only be achieved by changing habits. For example, if you are trying to gain weight by consuming too many calories in just one meal, you will not be able to reach your goal permanently because this is not a correct and healthy behavior. In this case, you need to change your current routine and adopt healthy eating habits.
However, before you start to apply a weight gain diet, you should consult your doctor at the first stage and understand whether you have a health problem that prevents or makes it difficult for you to gain weight. For example, digestive system disorders, metabolism Hormonal diseases such as hyperthyroidism, intestinal parasites and absorption disorders, fear of weight gain and psychological disorders and related appetite loss can prevent weight gain even if extra calorie intake occurs.
8 Common Mistakes While Trying To Gain Weight
1. Consuming liquids with meals: Consuming liquids before or during meals fills your already small stomach and causes you to consume less food. Therefore, you should consume your drink at the end of the meal.
2. Consuming the salad at the beginning of the meal: Contrary to those who want to lose weight, if you have a goal of gaining weight, you should leave the salad for the end after you have eaten the main course. Thus, you can both take in extra calories, expand the volume of your stomach and consume more food in the future. Using a variety of dressings in your salad will also help you get more calories.
3. Skipping Meals: Skipping main meals and not having snacks is one of the biggest mistakes made during dieting. If you want to gain weight, you should regularly have your main and snack meals to increase your desire to eat.
4. Eating very slowly: After starting the meal, a feeling of fullness occurs within 15-20 minutes. When you eat very slowly, you will take in fewer calories than you need in the time it takes to feel full.
5. Starting the meal with soup: By filling your stomach with soup, it causes the feeling of fullness to occur more quickly. In this case, it will be difficult for you to eat the main meal, which is the main calorie.
6. Consuming meals that are large in volume and low in calories: Instead, you can choose meals prepared with healthy sauces or combining 2 food groups and increasing calories. For example, you should have ground beef in your meal or You can give more space to dishes like macaroni and cheese and get a higher amount of calories.
7. Consuming very fatty foods: It would not be right to consume fried foods or foods with high-fat content in order to gain weight. Fats stay in the stomach longer, leading to a longer period of satiety. For this reason, you should prefer dishes cooked by oven, grill or steaming method.
8. Eating only fruit in snacks: Although fruits have high fiber content and cause bloating in the stomach, you should prefer snacks with the same volume but higher calories in order to gain weight by dieting. For example, you can add walnuts to pumpkin desserts or add oily seeds such as walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds to milk desserts. You can add Walnut cake you will prepare at home and 1 glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice will also be a good snack alternative.