Gaining weight and losing weight are two similar processes. Although most people complain about not being able to lose weight, some people complain about the opposite, that is, not gaining weight. Since the daily calorie amount that an average person should take is certain, calorie intakes above this amount return to the person as weight gain. If there is a calorie intake lower than the average calorie amount, this results in weight loss.
What Are the Disadvantages of Being Underweight?
Just as being overweight negatively affects the psychology of the person who is overweight, being underweight also negatively affects the psychology of the underweight person. Due to the extremely weak and weak appearance among people who can be called his peers, the person may experience quite large psychological problems. In advanced cases, it may even be possible to completely cut off the nutrition and turn the situation into a major disease.
What are the Causes of Not Gaining Weight?
There are various factors that lead to the inability to gain weight, as in the case of excessive weight gain.
In rare cases, the problem of not gaining weight is prevented by surgical intervention. If it is necessary to list the reasons that prevent weight gain in items:
- At the beginning of the issues to be considered while calorie intake is the necessity of taking these calories with a regular and balanced diet. In other words, it is very difficult for people who do not have a regular and balanced diet and whose eating and drinking times cannot be set to a standard by the body.
- Another issue as important as eating and drinking, that is, nutrition, is the order in the digestive and excretory systems. The digestive system controls the process of correctly breaking down the ingested food and mixing it into the blood. Likewise, the excretory system determines the body’s need for re-nutrition with the signals it gives. As a result, a healthy digestive and excretory system is as important as a good diet.
- The presence of various parasites in the body is one of the main reasons that prevent weight gain. Moreover, since these parasites are very difficult to detect, most people with weight problems can talk about the presence of these parasites. Parasites cause the problem of the body’s inability to get enough nutrition in common with the components of the consumed foods that will cause weight gain.
- One of the situations that people cannot directly change is genetic characteristics. Some people have difficulty gaining weight no matter what they do because of their genetic makeup. In the examinations made by dietitians, this situation is considered as the last possibility.
- Diabetes mellitus is one of the biggest obstacles to gaining weight. In addition, various infectious diseases can greatly reduce weight gain.
- It is a known fact that people who are depressed lose their appetite. The first issue that those who are depressed and want to gain weight should solve is their mental problems.
- Hormonal problems are actually the biggest obstacle to gaining weight. Excess or less of the hormones controlled by the thyroid gland is one of the biggest variables that have an effect on weight gain. Since the metabolism works incredibly fast in people whose thyroid gland works fast, weight gain is not possible. In order to eliminate such hormonal diseases, drug therapy is applied.
- Pests such as smoking and alcohol have a direct effect on appetite. It is a scientific fact that people who consume excessive alcohol or excessive smoking have an appetite. This is exactly why people who quit smoking and alcohol gain weight very quickly after quitting.
What to Do to Gain Weight?
- In fact, heavier exercises are recommended for those who want to gain weight compared to those who are trying to lose weight. Thanks to the micro-traumas revealed in the muscle tissues, the nutrients entering the body can be distributed in a beneficial way and return to the person in weight. In addition, taking care of sports exercises is an important factor in protecting those who are starting to get rid of the problem of weight gain from regional lubrication.
- The second thing to do is to switch to a regular lifestyle. A stressful, depressive lifestyle has highly negative effects on appetite. People dealing with the problem of gaining weight should stay away from situations that make them nervous and stressed in their current life; they have to put their lives in order in terms of sleeping – waking up, nutrition and exercise hours.
- The third action to be taken is to eat a regular and balanced diet. Ingesting excess calories from a single food type can cause major health problems in the future. In order to avoid these problems, people should be fed on a multi-meal – multi-calorie basis in all food types.
What Are The Healthy Ways To Gain Weight?
There are many methods to apply if the person cannot gain weight due to various reasons. At the beginning of these methods is the elimination of the factor that prevents weight gain, which is sometimes not possible. In this case, weight gain can be achieved by controlling the calories to be taken into the body. In addition, this process can be supported with various supplements. Although it is not recommended, there are also methods that can cause unhealthy weight gain.
The most important feature of weight gain diets is that they are rich in calories. While creating weight-gain diets, they should be designed in accordance with the characteristics of the person. In other words, the amount of calories that is quite high for one person may be insufficient for another person. In other words, the characteristics of the person are very important in the preparation of diet lists. While preparing diet lists, long-term projections are made. With the help of these projections, it is estimated how much weight the person will gain. The amount of weight to be gained is as important as how and in what time these weights will be gained.
Gaining a large amount of weight in a very short time can have very negative effects on the functions of the body. Likewise, it is of great importance from which source the excess calories to be taken into the body are taken while gaining weight. If calories are taken from food sources that impair blood sugar, blood fats and body functions, it will not be healthy even if weight is gained. A good diet will, in the long run, gain enough weight from the healthiest sources.
Things to Consider for Those Who Want to Gain Healthy Weight
- The person needs to establish a sleeping pattern. Getting at least seven hours of uninterrupted sleep at night is the beginning of weight gain.
- Getting up early in the daytime is very important in terms of balancing the metabolism.
With a very light exercise in the morning, muscle tissues should be activated and energy needs should be increased.
- Before breakfast, a sports exercise with light effort should be done.
- One of the most important meals of the day is breakfast. Normally, between 600 and 800 calories should be taken at breakfast. For those who are on a diet to gain weight, this amount is between 900 and 1100. Therefore, it is necessary to have a healthy breakfast consisting of foods such as honey, jam, eggs and butter.
- Meals should not be skipped and main meals should be supported with snacks. Nuts rich in fat and calories should be consumed at every snack.
- Foods that are rich in protein, carbohydrates and fat and whose calorie can be controlled should be distributed to the main meals.
- Liquid consumption should not be done in addition to food consumption during main meals and snacks. Drinks that cause the stomach to fill in volume are low in calories. If liquid is not consumed, calorie-rich foods can be taken to the empty space in the stomach.
- Appetizing sauces and spices can be used in cooking. Some appetizing foods can be included in the snacks consumed before the meal.
- Dessert can be consumed as one serving per day in a way that does not carry blood sugar to extremes.
- During the weight gain diet, sports exercises should not be overdone. In particular, small exercises can be done in order to shape the areas where weight is gained and fat is attached.
What Are Weight Gaining Foods?
The foods that should be consumed while applying weight loss diets are foods that are easily digested, easily digested, but give more calories. In general, carbohydrate class foods are preferred. We can list these foods as follows:
- Consuming plenty of nuts such as hazelnuts, peanuts and almonds , which are rich in fat and energy, will lead to weight gain.
- Peanut butter, which can be spread on bread and consumed at breakfast and other meals, is a very good source of calories.
- Chocolate is another easily digestible food that will both contribute to the body’s defense and provide plenty of calories. Especially dark chocolate has high calories.
- Full-fat cheese is one of the foods that make you gain weight. It contains a high amount of calcium for the protection of bone health, which is a big problem especially during weight gain.
- Olive oil, which is another of the healthy fats, especially butter, is also a serious source. Direct intake of fat into the body facilitates weight gain.
- Dried fruits also contain more calories than their volume. They also support body health with the help of vitamins and minerals they contain.
- Consumption of oil-rich fish and fatty meats also accelerates weight gain. In addition, offal consumption has a serious effect on weight gain.
- In addition to these, many other foods can be used for weight gain. The thing to do when determining diet lists is to adjust the amount of calories to be taken twenty percent more than normal. In addition, by consuming foods that are easy to digest, energy can be saved during digestion. Thus, weight gain is faster.
The Importance of a Dietitian in a Weight Gain Diet
The most important thing in weight gain diets is to gain weight in a way that does not spoil the body shape and form. In order to do this, it is necessary to do exercises, but if exercises are not added well, the necessary weight can be easily lost. Since those with weight gain problems tend to lose weight, weight loss occurs depending on exercise activities.
The solution to this impasse can be made by a dietitian who is an expert in his field. So, in weight loss diet dietitians, who are not that important, play a very important role in these diets. They should analyze their patients’ bodies, lifestyles and eating habits in detail, create diet lists accordingly, and update these diet lists over time. So yes, choosing a dietitian is very important in a weight gain diet. Patients who cannot choose their dietitian correctly either stay at the weight they have, lose weight or gain weight out of shape. After the shape of the body is deformed, the weight gained is also lost, since reshaping will mean much more effort. In other words, if there is no good dietitian, a vicious circle is entered.
Weight Gain Diet List
Weight Gain Diet Day 1
- Breakfast: Two egg omelet with organic butter and cheddar, three slices of bread, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, jam, honey, butter and greens. After breakfast, a full-fat glass of milk can be consumed as a snack.
- Lunch: A portion of chicken with tomato paste, oil or tomato sauce, a portion of rice pilaf prepared with plenty of butter, a salad with plenty of olive oil. After lunch, a handful of nuts and a full-fat glass of milk can be consumed as a snack.
- Dinner: A portion of lentil soup with butter, medium pizza with plenty of ingredients, salad served with plenty of olive oil. In addition, a handful of nuts and whole milk can be consumed before going to bed.
Weight Gain Diet Day 2
- Breakfast: Two bagels, lots of olives, lots of cheese, honey, jam, butter. After breakfast, boza can be consumed with a handful of nuts as a snack.
- Lunch: Meatballs prepared with the oily side of ground beef, either as a meal or grilled, a bowl of tomato juice, a portion of pasta, a salad prepared with plenty of olive oil and pomegranate syrup. After lunch, a handful of nuts and whole milk can be consumed as a snack.
- Dinner: A portion of yogurt soup with butter, three slices of bread, a plate of ground peas. A handful of nuts and a glass of whole milk can be consumed before going to bed.
Weight Gain Diet Day 3
- Breakfast: One egg and scrambled eggs prepared with lots of cheddar, one bagel, plenty of olives, honey, butter and jam. A handful of nuts can be consumed as a snack after breakfast.
- Lunch: Pan-fried fish, salad with plenty of olive oil, a plate of mussels, three slices of bread. A handful of hazelnuts can be consumed as a snack after lunch.
- Dinner: A plate of lentils with minced meat, a pita with cheese, a salad prepared with olive oil and pomegranate syrup. A glass of whole milk and walnut cake can be consumed before going to bed.
Weight Gain Diet Day 4
- Breakfast: Four slices of cheddar cheese, one tomato, a handful of nuts, a cucumber, a glass of orange juice and two slices of bread.
- Lunch: A pita with cheddar cheese, a glass of ayran, a salad prepared with plenty of olive oil and pomegranate syrup. A handful of nuts can be consumed as a snack after lunch.
- Dinner: Three stuffed peppers with minced meat, a glass of ayran, a portion of rice pilaf with butter, a portion of pickles. A glass of whole milk can be drunk before going to bed.
Weight Gain Diet Day 5
- Breakfast: One serving of lentil soup, one double cheese toast. After breakfast, two slices of walnut cake can be consumed as a snack.
- Lunch: One serving of menemen, one serving of macaroni with cheese, one serving of beans with olive oil. A handful of nuts can be consumed as a snack after lunch.
- Dinner: Six lentil patties, a portion of cheese pie, a glass of buttermilk, plenty of tomatoes. A handful of nuts can be consumed before going to bed.
Weight Gain Diet Day 6
- Breakfast: Fried egg with lots of cheddar, three slices of bread, tahini, molasses, honey, butter, jam, a glass of orange juice. A glass of whole milk can be consumed as a snack after breakfast.
- Lunch: A portion of grilled chicken, a salad prepared with plenty of olive oil and pomegranate syrup, a portion of mashed potatoes. After lunch, a glass of boza and a handful of nuts can be consumed as a snack.
- Dinner: A portion of vegetable soup with minced meat, a portion of grilled steak, seasonal salad with plenty of olive oil and pomegranate syrup. Two medium-sized fruits can be consumed before going to bed.
Weight Gain Diet Day 7
- Breakfast: One bagel, molasses, tahini, honey, jam, cheese, butter. A glass of whole milk can be consumed as a snack after breakfast.
- Lunch: One serving of tomato soup, one serving of baked pasta, a glass of buttermilk. A handful of nuts can be consumed as a snack after lunch.
- Dinner: A portion of chickpeas with meat, a portion of rice pilaf with plenty of butter, seasonal salad with plenty of olive oil. Two medium-sized fruits can be consumed before going to bed.
How long should a weight gain diet?
Everyone has an ideal weight. There are many factors involved in determining this ideal weight. If it is beneficial to approach the ideal weight determined according to these factors, it is a big problem to move away from the positive or negative direction. After starting the weight gain diet, the same amount of calories is not consumed until the ideal weight is reached.
If the person loses weight when the normal calorie amount is reduced, that is, when the diet is terminated, the diet is started again and the person remains at the same weight.
What Kind of Exercise Program Should Be Done Together with the Weight Gain Diet?
In order to gain weight in a healthy way, it is important to do exercises in addition to a balanced and regular diet.
These are exercises such as pull-ups, which are the most effective exercises for those who work their back and arm muscles and cannot gain weight, squat movement that strengthens the leg muscles by placing the hands behind the head and bending the knees, and push-ups that help develop chest, shoulder and arm muscles for those who want to gain weight quickly. In addition, in a more professional sense, sports equipment and weight gain exercise programs are carried out in the presence of a teacher.
How Long Should Exercise Continue?
In order to reach the desired weight, the exercises should be repeated regularly while applying weight gain diet programs and should not be neglected. For example, after doing it 10-15 times on the first day, it should be repeated in the same way the next day and the tempo should be increased gradually. This should be continued until the diet program is over.